Sunday 16 February 2014

NO GRATE NO COOK LIQUID LAUNDRY DETERGENT

I've been making my own homemade laundry detergent for a few years now.  As much as I loved my powder laundry detergent AND my previous liquid laundry detergent, I grew tired of grating soap.  When I saw a pin on Pinterest from One Good Thing from Jilly on No Grate Laundry Detergent, I clicked on it right away!


I could not believe how easy this recipe was, and you won't either!  
3 T. Borax, 3 T. Washing Soda & 3 T. Liquid Soap.  
Add boiling water, do a little shimmy shake, and your DONE!  

tablespoon

measuring cup

Dr. Bronners Peppermint Castile Soap

The original recipe called for Dawn dishwashing detergent and stated that it was great for grease stains. I wanted to keep mine a bit more pure and I had this Dr. Bronners Peppermint Castile Soap, so I decided to give it a try.  I have been very, very pleased with the results.  It washes just as well as my other homemade laundry detergents, but only takes a couple minutes to mix up. I used some old laundry detergent bottles I had saved from when I got tired of grating soap and bought detergent from Trader Joes.  They are 1/2 gallon size and perfect for reusing over and over.

Funnel

I like the ease of using a funnel and using my electric teapot to heat the water.  I love that I don't have to turn my stove on and boiling water is ready in seconds.  I will be sticking with this recipe! Easy!!

electric teapot

Liquid homemade laundry detergent


NO COOK NO GRATE 
LIQUID HOMEMADE LAUNDRY DETERGENT

3 Tablespoons Borax
3 Tablespoons Washing Soda
3 Tablespoons Dawn Dish Detergent OR Dr. Bronner's Liquid Castile Soap

+++

4 cups boiling water (water doesn't count as cooking, right?!:))
Cold water

+++
Measure 3 tablespoons borax and 3 tablespoons washing soda into a glass measure.  I like to use on with a spout.  Mix together well.  Using funnel, pour into 1 gallon jug, Add 3 tablespoons soap.  Add 4 cups boiling water.  Shake well. Then fill to the top with cold water.  It will bubble up and it will also be quite runny.

*2 half gallon jug directions: Measure 3 tablespoons borax & 3 tablespoons washing soda in a 4 cup pyrex glass measure.  Mix.  Add 2 cups boiling water.  Mix.  Add 3 Tablespoons soap. Mix.  Divide this mixture evenly into each 1/2 gallon jug, using a funnel.  Add 1 more cup of boiling water to each jug.  Fill each jug to the top with cold water and shimmy shake it!

Use 1/2 cup-1 cup per load depending on how large and how soiled the load is. 
It is not a sudsy detergent, and comments in original post say it is fine for HE washers.
Makes 1 gallon

No comments:

Post a Comment